The Egyptian Spice Market

Tuesday 4 September 2012

August 26, 2012

Egyptian Spice Market

On Saturday August 26th we went to the Egyptian Spice Market. It is the second largest covered market in Turkey after the Grand Bazaar. This market was a lot more fun than the Grand Bazaar because of all the different kinds of food you can buy like olives, cheese, bread, spices, tea and many other foods. One of the best parts of the market is that you can sample Turkish Delight from all the different store owners. I was quite happy to go from store to store tasting Turkish Delight as if I was about to buy a whole bunch, we did eventually buy some.

Another cool part of the market are the different spices you can buy. They have almost every spice under the sun, you can smell them from outside the market and they are very colourful. My dad bought some special Turkish spice you put on grilled meat like kebabs and some Iranian saffron which is so strong you need just a tiny piece less than 1cm long to flavour 40 servings of rice.

Hot chillies

 Henna powder. It tasted like grass.

Spices everywhere

If you like tea you love the spice market. There were a lot of different teas

And more spices

The good stuff...sweet dried fruits

My dad buying his spices, we had to guess how much each one weighed before the merchant put it on the scale.

 Massage oils. My mom asked my dad if he was buying some, I don't remember his response. :)

Smurfette with the perfume guy.

And the best of all...Turkish Delight everywhere

Newly married Turkish couple. I wasn't sure what they were doing, my dad said they came to buy food for their first meal. Not sure I believe that though.

 Entrance to the spice bazaar


The internet connection in our Zurich apartment has been up and down the past few days but very soon I'll update you on our trip to Rhodes, Greece and what we've been doing in Zurich since we got back from Greece - includes sharp objects, mountains and ice. 

On September 6th we head to Venice, Italy for 3 days. Can't wait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Zurich © 2011 | Designed by Interline Cruises, in collaboration with Interline Discounts, Travel Tips and Movie Tickets